GV Mobile not affected by Google Voice changes

April 23rd, 2009

GV Mobile will not experience any hiccups with the new changes Google has implemented. This only applies to applications using the DTMF method (dialing your GV # to make calls). Unfortunately, apps like GVDialer will cease to work unless they change the way they place calls.

The impact this does have to GV Mobile is the removal of an upcoming feature, ‘Offline Dialing’ which used this method. Apple prevents developers from sending a * or # sign to the iPhone dialer – so there is no way to dial your GV # and send the * required to enter in your PIN. Android, Blackberry, and Windows Mobile phone OS’s do not limit the developers this way. Hmmm ;)

1. rnalevka
    April 23rd, 2009 at 16:27

I don’t know how they did it bu I received an email from the guys at GVdialer at 8am this morning telling me about the change and then a few hours later the fix came through. They have also added call-back and will be adding SMS and all the other stuff soon. I have to give them props and they are a serious company. Might be the reason they beat evveryone

2. Kingoftowns
    April 23rd, 2009 at 17:25

saw your latest tweet……good feeling about this weekend…..Oh Joy!!!!!

3. April 23rd, 2009 at 18:06

@rnalevka Their product sucks…

4. April 23rd, 2009 at 20:16

@rnalevka Sucks

5. Anonymous
    April 23rd, 2009 at 21:20

I think rnalevka might work for or be friends with gvdialar.

6. April 23rd, 2009 at 22:33

I know next to nothing about Apple requirements. I can’t even spell iPhone Aps. But isn’t it true that GV does not require you to dial the * or # when calling from your cell phone or a number that is listed as your cell phone. I thought that the ANI automatically recognized your cell number and prompts you with the message listening and other options.

7. Anonymous
    April 23rd, 2009 at 23:58

I think there might be jealousy out there. Its very easy to knock something when there is nothing to compare it too.

8. April 24th, 2009 at 07:50

@Genius Alonzo It used to be that way – that’s how GVDialer worked. Now it doesn’t – required PIN regardless of the phone you call from.

9. April 24th, 2009 at 09:35

@sean
    Our hope is that you get this product in our hands ASAP. I hope you’re very successful and make a lot of money. I called from my iphone to my GV number and it immediately notifies me as to how many messages, prompts me for my PIN but never requires the DTMF * or #

10. YCF
    April 25th, 2009 at 18:18

The ‘Offline Dialing’ feature is a must-have in any GV app; it is the only feature that will automate – as opposed to manual – access to GV when an internet connection is not present. Trust me guys, internet access is not everywhere.

It’s very inconvenient to have to key in a PIN number from a registered number to access Google Voice. While this is due to security, but in the end APPLE IS THE ONE TO BLAME for preventing developers from sending an asterisk (*) and/or a pound sign (#) to the iphone dialer. That is just ridiculous.

Apple needs to realize that their illegal business practices can no longer continue because it’s simply not good for the company, and it makes consumers very unhappy. We are the reasons why Apple still exists, so if we decide to boycott their products what can they do about it?

I hope Apple gets the message, and does the right thing soon. Because the last thing any company wants is an angry customer.

Good job Sean, keep at it.

11. YCF
    April 25th, 2009 at 20:51

Sean,

From the information I’ve seen on the net, it appears as if the ‘Offline Dialing’ feature won’t be affected after all. Even though Google Voice has added a voicemail PIN, there’s no mention about the requirement for * or #. What’s your take on this? I’m very interested in this feature.

I checked the GVdialer site on this, and here is an excerpt from there:

GVdialer connects to my Google number but my call doesn’t reach the destination number. What can I do?

Google Voice has recently added a PIN requirement when calling through your Google account, even from registered phones. We have released a new version of GVdialer to support the PIN requirement. Follow these steps to resolve this problem:

If your application does not have a ‘Voicemail PIN’ field under ‘My Account’, uninstall your current version and make a new download from our website. Make sure not to use your older SMS/email.

Login to your Google Voice web account. Choose Settings->Phones and click ‘Edit’ next to your mobile phone number. Click ‘Show advanced settings’ and then choose ‘No’ next to ‘Voicemail Access’. Don’t forget to Save as you exit. Now, retry calling.

Thanks

12. April 30th, 2009 at 13:01

@YCF Looks like they changed some things. Offline dialing will work if and only if you call from a forwarded number that has the option “Voicemail Access” set to Yes. I plan on adding this to a future version; it’s not an immediate priority since this method is not optimal – takes around 30 secs to dial via this method.

13. YCF
    April 30th, 2009 at 17:39

@sean
    You are right Sean, but I hope “Offline Dialing” makes it in the next update. It is one of the most attractive features that I’m looking forward to. I’d rather wait 30 secs any day to place an automated call as opposed to dialing it manually while driving. It is also the only option that allows access to GV with no internet connection; that’s very important.

I don’t know how possible that’s going to be, but my hope is that soon we’ll be able to use the “Offline Mode” for complete interaction with GV.
    I’m talking about listening to voice mails, dialing out, change settings, etc. from within the app. I understand Google will have to change things a bit, and Apple has to remove DTMF *, # restrictions to make things easier for developers. Do you have any plans for such integration?

Thanks

14. Michael
    May 6th, 2009 at 03:31

Looks like you can add in that direct dial:

From google voice twitter: Recent change…PIN required by default to check messages through phone (can remove via settings>phones>edit>advanced)

15. Ali
    October 26th, 2010 at 17:02

My autocorrect isnt working & the text box doesnt show the letters as i am writing a message; my phone is not jb n i just formatted my phone & downloaded gv mobile + again

You must be logged in to post a comment.