Why did the app get removed??
So we’ve all been pondering this… at least I have, after initially laughing in the face of the Apple guy that called.
Check this out…
A breakout of features GV Mobile offers vs. other apps:
• Pros: Can dial people via your GV number with ease (via contacts or keypad)
• Cons: Still uses AT&T minutes unless you tie it together with another app like TruPhone or any other SIP client
• Apps that do this and still on App Store:
o These apps offer FREE calling: Skype, iCall, fring, TruPhone, others
o These apps are virtually identical to what GV Mobile did for Google Voice: RingCentral, maybe others…
• Pros: Send and receive messages for FREE
• Cons: Have to manually open the app and refresh to see any new SMS messages
• Apps that do this and still on App Store: Skype, TextFree Unlimited/Lite, FreeSMS, Texter, Unlimited SMS, Text-for-Free, …. okay there are probably 50 that do the same thing, these are the more popular ones. Some of these do push notifications – so it’s just like the native iPhone app!!
• Pros: An easy to use interface (thanks Apple!) for visually listening to voicemails – very similar to the native iPhone app
• Cons: Have to manually open the app and refresh to see any new voicemails
• Apps that do this and still on App Store: RingCentral, maybe others…
So now we know there are apps still on the App Store that duplicate existing iPhone features – as GV Mobile does. Why does it look like Apple/AT&T are only targeting Google? Hmm