Godaddy …. is very disappointing

September 10th, 2010

There will be some planned downtime soon (couple days). I’ll be moving this “joint” to another spot on Ma Earth.

In other news, GV Mobile looks hopeful to return to the ol’ mighty App Store.

Tentative game plan:
+GV Mobile + (hopefully GV Mobile) hits the App Store at $2.99.
+A week or so later, I will change the price to FREE for a good 12 hours or so. I’ll give notice via Twitter and this blog (if the fucking site doesn’t go down – Godaddy! Sorry, I’m pissed)
+After the 12 hours or so, back to $2.99

Thoughts being…if you bought it way back and didn’t get it from Cydia, you can still wait a bit longer to get it for free. If you bought it way back and bought it on Cydia…or if you just bought it on Cydia, you can wait a bit because the version hitting the App Store will have the same feature set.

Planned changes are:
+full landscape (except for dial pad)
+revised keypad (sounds, and minor stuff)
+graphics (hi-res)

I think that’s it for the initial release.

1. September 10th, 2010 at 23:49

how about multitasking? =)

2. John
    September 11th, 2010 at 06:26

So it appears that it WON’T just show up in iTunes as a free update for those of us who purchased way back in the day? Just clarifying here. Thanks!

3. JS
    September 11th, 2010 at 08:53

More importantly: Push! Either way, thanks!

4. John Trussell
    September 11th, 2010 at 10:55

Keeping my fingers crossed for no approval issues. I’m thrilled that you’re finally going to get “mainstream” business for all the hard work you’ve put into the app.

5. Dylan
    September 11th, 2010 at 11:35

How about pop up notifications for texts and quick reply?

6. Smathers
    September 11th, 2010 at 14:12

I bought it at the app store. I bought it at Cydia.

The version at Cydia doesn’t work well. Constant access denied errors.

Make it the same app, make it show up it iTunes as a free update for those of us who purchased it.

I’m sorry that Apple put you through all that, but I’d like to get my app for free, not wait a week and hope I’m not oversees or whatever in the 12 hours you deign to make it free.

7. September 11th, 2010 at 16:49

I love GV Mobile+ and I’ll gladly pay for it again if Apple approves it. I’ve already got push notifications by forwarding emails to Boxcar, so what I’d like to see is stuff like an option to dhow SMS’s the usually way (organized by person) instead of Google’s weird organization by conversation. I don’t want one person to show up in my SMS list more than once. It’s confusing!

8. Isaacfank
    September 11th, 2010 at 16:50

@Smathers
    are you sure you are using gv+?

i only got access denied errors on the free one. ive never had trouble with + except that one major outage.

9. September 11th, 2010 at 18:53

Awesome! I’m so excited! Think I’ll just re-purchase it. Of course, a promo code would be nice too!

10. Ole
    September 11th, 2010 at 19:35
  11. Ole
    September 11th, 2010 at 19:36

Sean
    If the app is approved by Apple, GV Mobile + won’t work anymore?

12. Thestevo
    September 11th, 2010 at 22:42

Great news! When time permits, please implement push notifications for SMS and voicemail. Not that you won’t hear this request enough, but that’s one huge advantage of going official. Thanks!

13. joe4444
    September 12th, 2010 at 11:38

BlowDaddy HOSTS your site? Say it ain’t so, Sean! After dealing with their domain name registration user interface just once many years ago I never even considered hosting with them. I’m glad you’re moving, and I look forward to the next update whether it’s on the App Store or Cydia, makes no difference to me.

+1 for Matthew’s SMS organization suggestion, although I fear we may be stuck with Google’s conversation weirdness.

14. September 12th, 2010 at 16:47

Ill gladly pay again. Cant wait till its re-released.

15. September 12th, 2010 at 21:06

@Ole It will.

16. JT
    September 13th, 2010 at 00:16

So the app has been submitted for approval?

17. September 13th, 2010 at 01:07

@JT 10-4

18. Marvin
    September 13th, 2010 at 10:45

@sean
    AMEN!
    It’ll be nice if the folks who already got it from the app store could just update!
    Thank you for the great work & good luck

19. September 13th, 2010 at 11:57

@sean
    1. Will There be push notifications
    2. will there be an option to delete messages, block people or unblock people

20. GoDaddy Sucks
    September 13th, 2010 at 20:02
  21. Rick
    September 14th, 2010 at 09:10

I’ll pay $2.99 any day of the week for the ability to circumvent AT&T and seamlessly use WiFi when available. Hell, I’ll name my firstborn after someone who can integrate GV with iPhone! Thanks for the great work & looking forward to the app. Can’t believe people are irked about paying $3 to developers… you should never have announced the 12-hour free window :)

22. joe4444
    September 14th, 2010 at 18:29

The “limited time only” free offer is a very nice gesture. I’m sure most of us will gladly buy it anyway. If $2.99 is too steep, ask Mom and Dad for a raise on your allowance. =p

23. September 18th, 2010 at 03:21

Godaddy does blow. I switched from them to AlwaysData. Love em. They’re so simple, everything works, and quickly.

24. September 18th, 2010 at 10:17

For Hosting, I Use Namecheap.com they are pretty easy and their customer service is top notch

25. September 19th, 2010 at 16:22

Slicehost++ They’re the cheapest way into rackspace level hosting. You have to admin your own slice, but come on man it’s solid.. let me know if you need help.

26. September 23rd, 2010 at 14:38

If you are looking for low cost hosting check out www_nosupportlinuxhosting_com as its very affordable for people who don’t need hosting support.

You must be logged in to post a comment.