Invalid response from Google (Level 3).

March 27th, 2013

There seems to be a server related issue isolated in the north east part of the country. I’m trying to get in contact with Google to get some resolution. The good news is the app isn’t necessarily broken… In the meantime please use the official Google Voice app. I will join you in misery of using it.
I appreciate your patience!

Update: And it’s propagating elsewhere.

Update 2: A recent change to the Google Voice API that GV Mobile + uses is currently causing the app to not function properly. Within hours of feedback from our loyal customers, an update was submitted to Apple for resolution. We appreciate your patience while we resolve this. In the time being, please feel free to use Google’s own application.

Update 3: The madness never ends. Google made some API endpoint changes today, which started effecting users around 6PM EST, but it appears they have reverted them, hopefully for good. So crisis adverted – the app should work now. I have no clue if this will happen again. Sorry folks.

Update 4: Google reverted changes last time because of an error. They have fixed said error and applied the changes that created this mess a couple weeks ago. An update was submitted to Apple to resolve the issues. Sorry for the downtime.

1. realstuart
    March 27th, 2013 at 19:43

I am experiencing this as well in SE Michigan. Tried rebooting the phone and re-installing the app. Native google voice app works fine.

2. leeb
    March 27th, 2013 at 20:36

My wife and i are getting the same error here in Seattle Washington. Native google voice app works fine, Talkatone works as well.

3. muddy
    March 27th, 2013 at 20:40

Same in Pittsburgh, PA. The app is empty (no message in Inbox, History, etc.) Thanks for looking into it!

4. jennidollface
    March 27th, 2013 at 22:14

Same problem in Los Angeles.

5. leeb
    March 27th, 2013 at 22:59

Wow, thats quick on the update. Thank you and eagerly awaiting apple to post the update.
    Thanks for the quick responses and fix.

6. March 27th, 2013 at 23:00

See Update 3. I guess I’ll go to bed now. :/

7. dacohen
    March 29th, 2013 at 04:48

Thanks anyway, for being the kind of developer who responds so rapidly to this kind of thing. But really, wtf google…sad_trombone.wav.

8. bculli05
    April 8th, 2013 at 13:18

So whats going with this Invalid Response Level 3 error? All my information disappeared so I decided to log out of GV and log back in and now I cant. Has there been any changes today?

9. craig
    April 8th, 2013 at 13:35

Same here, I sent a text a minute ago, the text went through but the app crashed and when I log back all my information is gone, no items to be shown – I just deleted the app and was going to re-install but sounds like it’s not worth the hassle – another google issue?

10. DrMax
    April 8th, 2013 at 14:07

I just got same experience as bculli05. Turned my phone back on and all content is gone. Can’t seem to add my phone back in – level 3 error. Google’s GV app works fine.

11. RichardDN
    April 8th, 2013 at 16:29

Hello Sean, I assume you are working on the issue this app is business critical to me.
    you have always been on top of things and i would not expect anything else this time.
    let us know whats going on thanks.

12. April 9th, 2013 at 09:54

I updated this post. The same problem that occurred last week is happening now. Google updated their servers in such a way that breaks the app. Apple has an update and hopefully they will release it shortly.

We should all be mindful that Google has never made the Voice API public and things like this can and will happen. Even worse, Google could shutter the Voice service or it’s capabilities.

You must be logged in to post a comment.